An R project corresponds to a folder. It does not add any project file. With File -> New project... you can create a new projet (which is a new folder) or open an existing project (it can be any folder). The files of the project are displayed in the File / Project explorer (on the left by default).
You can also create an RPGM project, see the RPGM documentation.
On the topbar of the EXPLORER, the PROJECTS explorer with all projects can be opened with the folder button
📂. The other
📄 button will go back to the file explorer. The last button with arrows will hide the sidebar, which can be shown again by clicking on the small handle on the corresponding side of RCode, or with Show/hide sidebar in the View menu.
With a right click on the empty space, a menu with several options appears:
In this menu:
- New file adds a new file. Possible files are: .R file, .Rmd (rmarkdown) file and .txt (text) file ;
- New folder creates a new folder ;
- Set as working directory changes the working directy of the active R session to the selected folder ;
- Copy path copies the project path to the clipboard ;
- Show in Explorer shows the project in the File explorer of the OS ;
- Open shell here opens a shell in the selected directory.
When a project is created or open, the R working directory is automatically changed to the root of the project.
- Open opens the file in RCode or, if not possible, with the default program associated to the extension ;
- Duplicate duplicates the file ;
- Rename opens a dialog to rename the file ;
- Delete deletes the file ;
- Copy path copies the path of the file ;
- Show in Explorer shows the file (or the folder) in the File explorer of the OS ;
- Source executes the file (only for an .R file) ;
- Folders have another option: New folder for creating a sub folder ;
- RData files show another option for loading the data in R.
A click on a project opens it while a right click proposes to remove the project from the list.
Removing a project from there does not delete it on the system, it only removes the link in the PROJECTS explore.
The small additionnal topbar contains several options:
- A field for searching projects ;
- A clock button with sort projects either by name or by last use ;
- A folder button for opening a project ;
- The add button for creating a new project.